Thursday, June 3, 2010

Finished Quilt Top


Last week I finished a Disappearing 9-Patch quilt top. Myra a neighbor had pieced 9-patch and Dresden plate blocks for my friend Barbara. A little history. In May just before moving into this house, I met Barbara she was running a "thrift store" across the street from where I get my hair done. We exchanged phone numbers and during the hassle and total disorganization of the move, unpacking etc, I'd misplaced her number (and seems she had mine as well). After several months we made contact again and she stopped by for a visit. When she did she realized a lady that was making some blocks for a quilt for her was my neighbor. To shorten the story when Myra finished them she brought them over to me to give Barbara the next time I saw her.

The workmanship and stitching was beautiful. The "girl" does great work. He choice of fabrics and combination was outstanding. I laid the blocks on the large area on my living room floor alternating the 9-patch and Dresden plate blocks. They were beautiful, but personnally felt that the dresden plate blocks got lost in the busyness of the entire look. So when Barbara came by I suggested she divide and make two quilts. After rearranging the blocks showing one top with all the same block - she agreed. By then I'd seen some disappearing 9 patch quilt arrangements and convinced Barbara that would be a great way to use the 9-patches.

We got a little more coordinating material made a few more 9-patch blocks (same size) and then cut all in 1/4, and assembled into a disappearing 9-patch. Myra gave me the name of the collection by Moda she'd used fabric from and I was able to get a piece that matched some she'd used in the quilt and the one we thought best for the outer border. This collection had been discontinued so finding enough for the border was a fabulous find. AND I'm so glad I did because I think it is the perfect frame for the quilt.

Now the Dresden plate will be a more traditional assembly with sashing and borders. Still not decided if I'll add cornerstone squares but may.

I have 3 quilt tops to sash. A pinwheel with patriotic fabric, using red, white and blue sashing strips, a 9-patch. Each block is 9 squares of like color, and there are 6 colors (pink, red, purple, blue, green, yellow). Each horizontal row will have one block of each color with beginning block offset by one to create diagonal rows of each color. This quilt will be sashed in white no corner stones. The 3rd top is a very scrappy quilt top of a huge variety of 4" squares of every color and every fabric pattern I could find. It is a little over 1/2 done, now have enough 4" squares to finish it.

I then have a lap sized quilt top to finish, still have the small and 3.5" white squares to cut out then I can assemble and finish this one. Maybe if I get a strong spurt of energy I can get all finished by end of day tomorrow.

No comments: