Saturday, June 28, 2008

Friends

With the computer comes the advantage of making friends world wide. We don’t know as much about them as we probably do those that live near, but just the same we make friends. We have the chance to chat, exchange thoughts ideas, and learn from each other. We learn about the cultures of others as well as the new and interesting input to things we have in common, such as embroidery, food, quilting, and others.
I’ve spent many a pleasant hour just conversing by IM with the friends I’ve made online. I have others I chat with through posts to groups I belong to and groups that I’m the moderator for. It does make our large world so much smaller.
Today my dear DIL called they had just returned from 17 days in Europe touring among other places Greece, Italy, Rome, etc. She said she had such a fabulous time. Her son and daughter and her Mom and Dad had gone too.
She said she’d fallen in love with a Greek Island and kept telling me how beautiful it was.
Although there are some parts of Europe I’d like to see, I’d really like to be rich enough to own an RV and tour all the back roads and see the USA. But with the cost of gas, living on retirement and SS doesn’t look like a dream that will come true in my lifetime. Since I don’t play the Lottery that isn’t an option, nor spend a fortune in Vegas hoping. So will suffice with traveling there through photos and stories.
Ex always said life income is backwards, when you are young and struggling you don’t make much and you are usually trying to raise a family. After they are grown you move to a position in you career where you make better but by then you have most of the necessities, then you get to retirement and needs are less, and if lucky income is more than adequate. But during our lifetime until now the cost of gas was never the issue it is today.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I have also made lots of special friends on the net. We live in a small town and not many are interested in quilting or anything handmade. So I have lots of fun with the internet. Take care and hugs.

Elsie's Passions said...

Thanks for you nice comment.

Yes the internet has made our world so much smaller.

I was raised in a small town, lived in a couple of larger cities and now moving back to a small town. Each has advantages, but I think living in a small town outweighs the benefits of living in a larger one.